Sunday, February 26, 2012

Lost and Found

I just read a friend's blog post about losing something and finding it again... and it inspired me to share my stories of how I lost my wallet and gained something far better in return.

I actually wanted to share this in the comments section of Kaye's blog, but I thought that it would be too long to be considered as a "comment" (Sometimes I over think things. Strike that. I often over think. xD)

x X x

I'd like to think of myself as someone who's careful with her things. But in truth, I really am not. I easily forget where I've put something and it takes me quite a while to remember where I last used it or saw it. Sometimes, I even do not remember where I've placed something of mine AT ALL.

Take for instance, my wallet. As far as I remember (hahaha), I've only lost my wallet thrice. And it's such a hassle because I not only keep money inside my wallet, I also put pictures, my ID, SM advantage card, Laking National card, etc in it. So losing it would be a GREAT DEAL to me.

x X x

The first time I lost my wallet, God showed me two miracles.

I was on my way home to Laguna (my permanent home)  from QC  (where I lived temporarily for sometime because I was attending University) when I lost my wallet the first time. I only realized it when I was already on the bus. I got really anxious to the point of getting teary eyed already because I had no other money with me. I tried retracing my actions before I got on the bus - I even began doubting myself on whether or not I really did bring my wallet with me. BUT, I remember having taken out my wallet when I rode a tricycle and a jeepney before getting on the bus. And then I thought that maybe I forgot to put my wallet inside my bag after paying for the jeepney fare. Yes, that was it, I thought. I then began panicking on how I'd be able to get home. The conductor would collect my payment for the bus anytime and I had nothing with me. Based on observation, conductors ask passengers who can't pay or can't prove that they've paid to leave the bus. Some conductors can really be mean in doing it, too.

I don't remember praying (I most probably did, after all I was desperate) but I decided to just tell him the truth. Never mind if he'll believe me or not. I'll find out soon enough after telling him.

So I told him my story - my voice shaking and my eyes trying hard not to cry. To my surprise and my great joy, he believed me right away! I didn't even have to reason out or convince him at all. He was very nice about it and he even tried to cheer me up by joking that he'd pay for my fare BUT on one condition: I have to become a "suki" (regular client) of the bus company he was working for. I was very thankful to him that I promised myself that I'd keep my word even though I knew he was just teasing me.

And that's why I often ride this bus since that day


That was the first miracle.

I witnessed the second miracle two days later when I found the lost wallet in a bag I left in QC. I really don't know how it got there but IT WAS THERE. Unbelievable right? :)

Sometime later, I lost the same wallet but I got over it easily - fondly remembering what happened the first time I lost it.

The third time I lost my wallet, I was on my way home from law school. And I believe that it was for the same reason I lost my wallet the first time: I forgot putting it back in my bag after paying for the fare. Anyway, I got over my loss when two of my friends in law school offered to give me a wallet when they heard about what happened. That was really something because it was a first for me. Two people offered to replace my wallet - that's something right? :)

So there. The wallet I am using now was given to me by one of those friends. I think my other friend would not have minded if I asked to receive her offer as well. But I am content with just owning one wallet AND finding out that I have two good friends. :)

As a final message, I'd just like to encourage you, dear reader, that the term 'lost and found' doesn't always refer to losing something and finding the same thing. Sometimes, it's losing something and finding something far greater than what you've lost - like greater faith and two good friends. :)

4 comments:

  1. Haha. Parang ako lang. calculator ko nga lang ung lagueng nawawala. Hehehe. Pero I'm worse. Lol. I make myself believe na naging makakalimutin na ako since "anesthesia" came into my life. Haha. Feeling ko naman in denial lang ako na I do not pay attention on the little things kaya I blame it sa anesthesia. Haha. I lost my network cable sa school. Pati charger ng laptop. One time muntik ko narin mawala ung laptop mismo. Hehehe. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on! It also has something to do with discovering something greater than what you already have or had. ;)

    I love reading our blogs! I always learn something new or be reminded of something each time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for the kind words girls. i also love reading our blogs. :) feeling ko mas nagiging close tayo kesa kung mag-facebook or any other social network. :)

    ReplyDelete